We want to share tips for communicating with your loved one with dementia to improve quality of visits for your family.
• Engage the person in one-on-one conversation in a quiet space that has minimal distractions.
• Speak slowly and clearly.
• Maintain eye contact. It shows you care about what he or she is saying.
• Give the person plenty of time to respond so he or she can think about what to say.
• Be patient and offer reassurance. It may encourage the person to explain his or her thoughts.
• Ask one question at a time.
• Ask yes or no questions. For example, “Would you like some coffee?” rather than “What would you like to drink?”
We hope these tips will help you and your loved ones. Please contact us with any questions.